• 13th February 2015 at 10:19 pm

Perhaps I’m a bit sad or mad but with digital photography its easy to take trillions of photos of you kids etc.  Zack’s first years are spread over multiple CD’s.  Then I decided to get a server – thats collection dust now.  In November we had a big party 1700 photos taken – don’t want to lose them.

Any thoughts?

MCB

• 13th February 2015 at 11:15 pm

I thought maybe the cloud is the best place… But then you need to buy space for that if it becomes too much. I then investigated Plex https://plex.tv/ This seems like a good way to keep things in sync locally?

Just my thoughts 🙂

• 16th February 2015 at 7:49 am

Flickr is great. You get 1TB of free storage and the can set the photos to private so no one can see them. Also you can download them back when you want. If you manage to fill then you can just make a new account.

• 16th February 2015 at 9:57 pm

This is an interesting read urging people to print out digital photos or risk losing them:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11410506/Print-out-digital-photos-or-risk-losing-them-Google-boss-warns.html

I think I would need to build a library!

• 17th February 2015 at 1:02 pm

Yes Chris thats the problem, I have nearly 3TB of photos.

Fist I had them on Memory Sticks

Then I put them on a Microsoft Home Server

Now they are on a dual disk RAID Array SAN!

Next will likely be solid state storage.

I think we have to consider our photos as a valuable asset and invest in appropriate storage.  I definitely don’t trust so-called “cloud” storage. They make no real commitment about how they store your data and there is no real come-back if they lose it – money? Thats no use we actually want the pictures! Technology wise most of these cloud providers cut their costs right to the bone – this is technology and service I work with and I have seen it.

• 18th February 2015 at 1:24 pm

I agree i think that you should have 3 copies of you photos. One should be away from home so that if the worst happens then they are not lost. We use flickr just as an extra back up no our main storage.